I wanted to have a blog just to show off my quilts. They are all special to me and hopefully there will be many more to post here.

Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Gemma's Quilt

This sweet little quilt is for now six month old Gemma. Sadie's precious little daughter. Sadie is the middle of the Leder children that I babysat so long ago. She's the oldest of the two girls and always the little mother. She was the one who wanted to play store and house and help all the time. Such sweet memories.

The fabric is Lily and Will Revisited by Bunny Hill Designs for Moda. I purchased the layer cake (10 inch squares) and cut them to 5x5s. There was a mixture of pink, blue, and gray. I pulled out all the pink and gray I wanted to use and happily have the leftovers to make a baby boy quilt for someone one day. Due to some worsening carpal tunnel at the time, I had to teach myself how to machine quilt. There is quite a learning curve there. This quilt is finished by stitching in the ditch and then meandering all across the quilt in a stipple pattern. It was challenging at times, but a great learning the technique.

I usually machine stitch the binding on and then handstitch it down, but for this quilt I machine stitched it in place as well to allow my wrists to continue to heal. It's not my favorite method, but I learned a lot while doing it. I have misplaced the dimensions but it is about 31" x 35".

I think the quilt is soft and pretty. Perfect for a sweet baby girl. 











No comments:

Post a Comment