I wanted to have a blog just to show off my quilts. They are all special to me and hopefully there will be many more to post here.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Small Hello Kitty Quilt

These little quilts came about because Hello Kitty usually sells and I had not found many HK quilts out there. I wanted to try to sell a couple of little lap quilts. They were also practice quilts. The first one I attempted to machine quilt diagonal lines. Only those quilts were done on a different machine.  An old Brother. The machine I used (also a Brother) is several years old but never the machine its similar priced  predecessor (of 20 years) was.  It was not a great experience.  Lots of puckers....I always hand baste and for handquilting (and those few quick machine quilted quilts of the past) my hand basting was fine.  Between the bad machine and my basting, the little quilt had its fair share of puckers. And then the machine broke. Not a bad break, but the plastic that held the mechanism that allows you to back stitch literally fell apart in pieces on my fabric. So...I scraped up enough money bought a new machine. Not a pricey one. And another Brother.  But I am not wary of the Brother brand...I really think my second machine was a dud.  It never did measure up to my first one.  My new machine is a Brother SQ 9050.  It was made for quilting and has a little table, a walking foot, and a free motion foot, plus all the regular attachments.  And it is computerized.  It has been wonderful fun learning to use it!  However...that comes with a learning curve.  The second quilt is no better than the first and I used the walking foot.  I am still hoping to sell them as they are well made and once washed, the puckers mingle with the crinkles. I learned a lot. I need a lot of practice and have discovered spray basting. I am looking forward to doing more quilts with this machine if time permits.

I do not know which of the photos are with which machine.  They look basically the same from a distance. Could definitely tell when I was making them.

Before washing

Before washing.
                                                                    After washing.







No comments:

Post a Comment